Skip to main content

Brain Dump

I have a bunch of ideas that I don't have time to follow up on but I'd like to retain in some fashion so here goes.

1.

A long time ago I had a question about the shortest assembly program (parameterised by the instruction set of course!) that could encode the generators of the quaternions under multiplication. It is a very easy thing to program this, but as I was doing it, I found myself being highly doubtful that I was choosing the "right" encoding. In fact I almost certainly wasn't. Would there not be some very tight encoding in terms of "normal" assembly language operators? This has been a persistent question in my mind that comes up frequently in different and often more general forms. If you want to make a fast compiler, how do you know what instructions to output? If you have a highlevel specification, how can you avoid the ridiculously high overhead usually associated with extremely high level languages?

Today I found this fabulous paper (from 1987!) that deals with some of the basic issues involved in finding the shortest program for a given problem. It's called "Superoptimizer -- A look at the smallest program". I'd link to it, but I got it off ACM so if you are one of the few people that has a subscription you'll know where to find it and otherwise I don't want to give the money grubbers the link-love.

Some other thoughts that are in this region of my thought-space. Can you take a given specification with a proof and systematically transform it to enumerate the space of satisfying programs? If not, why not? Even if you can't, might it not be interesting to just perform large searches of this space? Are there methods of using the transformation operators such that programs are only decreasing or minimally increasing? If so then perhaps we can call the search good at some size threshold since very large programs are unlikely to be good because of locality issues. Also Automatic Design of Algorithms Through Evolution is in a very similar vein.

2.

Concurrency is a nasty problem. It doesn't have a nice formalism that everyone in the CS world can agree on. There must be like 500 different formalisms. All of them better (easier, not neccessarily faster) than the ones that we actually use (locking, threads, condition variables) but none of them stand out as "the right thing".

I recently found a paper called:
Socially Responsive and Environmentally Friendly Logic
. I love the title :) But aside from that, the formalism is very nice. It is something that I've contemplated a bit but never had the drive to actually try to work out formally. The basic idea comes from the knowledge that Classical Logic and Intuisionistic Logic can be viewed as 2 player games. This game is pretty simple. If I have a proof phi then to win I have to prove it. If I have a proof ¬φ, then to win my oponent has to fail to prove it. If I have φ ∧ ψ then my partern gets to pick a formula and I have to prove it. If I have ∀x then my oponent gets to pick any stand-in for x that he would like. You can probably guess the rest (or look it up). This alternate logic breaks the essential two person nature of the logic. One interesting practical feature of negation in the traditional logics, is that they give rise to Continuations in the Curry-Howard Correspondance. So what does this give rise to in the N-player games defined by Abramsky? I'm not sure, but I suspect it might give process migration! Something worth looking in to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Managing state in Prolog monadically, using DCGs.

Prolog is a beautiful language which makes a lot of irritating rudimentary rule application and search easy. I have found it is particularly nice when trying to deal with compilers which involve rule based transformation from a source language L to a target language L'. However, the management of these rules generally requires keeping track of a context, and this context has to be explicitly threaded through the entire application, which involves a lot of irritating and error prone sequence variables. This often leads to your code looking something a bit like this: compile(seq(a,b),(ResultA,ResultB),S0,S2) :- compile(a,ResultA,S0,S1), compile(b,ResultB,S1,S2). While not the worst thing, I've found it irritating and ugly, and I've made a lot of mistakes with incorrectly sequenced variables. It's much easier to see sequence made explicitly textually in the code. While they were not designed for this task, but rather for parsing, DCGs turn out to be a conveni

Teagrey

I was ironing my shirt today, which I almost never do. Because of this I don't have an ironing board so I tried to make a make-shift ironing board on my floor using a towel and some books. I grabbed the heaviest books on the nearest shelf, which happened to be Organic Chemistry, Stalingrad and an annotated study bible containing the old and new testament. As I pulled out the bible, a flower fell out which had been there for over 17 years now. I know that because it was put there by my first wife, Daniel, who killed herself in April about 17 years ago. It fell from Thessalonians to which it had been opened partially. Highlighted was the passage: "Ye are all sons of the light and sons of the day." I guess the passage gave her solace. Daniel was a complicated woman. She had serious mental health issues which plagued her for her entire life. None of them were her fault. She was dealt an absolutely awful hand in life, some truly nasty cards. She had some considerable c

Decidable Equality in Agda

So I've been playing with typing various things in System-F which previously I had left with auxiliary well-formedness conditions. This includes substitutions and contexts, both of which are interesting to have well typed versions of. Since I've been learning Agda, it seemed sensible to carry out this work in that language, as there is nothing like a problem to help you learn a language. In the course of proving properties, I ran into the age old problem of showing that equivalence is decidable between two objects. In this particular case, I need to be able to show the decidability of equality over types in System F in order to have formation rules for variable contexts. We'd like a context Γ to have (x:A) only if (x:B) does not occur in Γ when (A ≠ B). For us to have statements about whether two types are equal or not, we're going to need to be able to decide if that's true using a terminating procedure. And so we arrive at our story. In Coq, equality is